Our design conference is hosted annually by AIGA, the professional association for design, as a means of connecting the design community through rich conversation, inspiration, networking and education. As conference chair, I work with AIGA to define a theme for the conference that reflects the current state of the design profession and frames the important, future-facing issues we’ll address.
We chose this year’s conference theme, “connect,” because we’re all in search of meaningful connections to the work we do—and ultimately, to each other. Connection happens when we employ empathy in our work, when we include the stories and perspectives of others, and when we come together to move our professions and humanity forward.
When we see our work contribute to something bigger, we dare to become part of a larger conversation. Join us in Minneapolis to explore:
- How do we meaningfully connect with our work? Is it necessary to do good work?
- How do we work in a way that purposefully connects with others?
- How do we come together in a way that moves the profession forward?
- How do connections inside design influence those outside of design?
- How does connecting with out work transform us as individuals?
- How can we help foster connection through our work and ideologies?
I’m looking forward to exploring these themes through conversation and inspiration this October, and I hope you are too.
– Tina Essmaker, 2017 Conference Chair